Follow by Email

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Moving forward with refitting

Shallow-Minded gets a new paint job.  I spent two weeks in June removing hardware and obstructing lines and wooden strips.
I brought home the very nice Suzuki 9.9hp long shaft and sold it.  Realizing from previous comments on motoring that she needs a larger motor to make her a good Waterway/river cruising boat.






This is my new 20 HP Tohatsu long shaft with power tilt/electric start.  I have the conversion kit ordered to install remote control.  Finding the right parts has been quite a challenge, but I have learned a great deal.
Note the motor stand I built to run this rather heavy motor in the tank. Then have for a work horse after the run.

The hoist came in handing removing the motor from the box.
I also am going to institute stick steering for close quarters control. 











The forward hatch I found to be rotten around the frame.  This is my new one.  It is built of marine grade plywood and is well saturated with epoxy and cloth.  The primer is Interlux Prime-Kote a two part epoxy.  I think it will last a bit better than the previous one. 






I am currently working very hard getting Belle ready to sell so things are going slowly with Simple-Minded during this period. I hope to have Belle's deck repainted and the hardware back on before winter so I can put her up for sale.  Progress will continue to be documented on http://seapearlboats.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment